Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Spark

As noted in earlier post, one of my many on going projects is the gallery wall in my living room:
I have been working on pieces for this space and in the process I discovered a theme. I know you are suppose to start with an idea/theme but since this was an informal art project (teetering on the border of 'craft' project) I decided I would just work freely without being overwhelmed by portraying an overall concept. I think it worked well as my subconscious gathered it's own theme...family. Here is one of the pictures that will eventually become part of the gallery wall once I make/find a frame for it.
Forgive the horrible photo but right now it's all I've got. It's a spark plug! I know, I know, How can this represent family? Well my parents own an equipment rental store and have taught me to appreciate the hardworking, classic car driving, "average" American. I have always love classic cars (my favorite being '67 Chevelle SS, in case you were wondering) and grown up around power tools and the spark plug represents this aspect of my family as well as the dichotomy between masculine an feminine. I have other pieces I have been working on and will post soon, I will also try to get a better photo of this piece.

No comments: