Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spring Stencils


If only I had more time in the day! I have so many ideas and so little time to achieve them. I have been better about not dropping the ball on projects that are in motion so it's been a good year so far. This post maybe a bit to philosophical for some so I just wanted to begin with a disclaimer.


As an artist I think it's important to be ever-chaning while still capturing yourself in the work. My first instinct was to use "while still maintaining your style" in place of "while still capturing yourself in the work." The diction becomes important because I don't think our styles are or should be static. I do believe that your work should represent your passions and response to the environment which also transform.


I have been considering styles and meaning as I work with stencils. I thought that they could be my "trademark" but then I realized that it isn't about having a trademark it's about making things that represent me. The stencil has a hard edge, graphic quality which I like to juxtapose against fluid, organic objects such as nature. I also like to incorporate the opposition between feminine and masculine so lately I have been creating compositions like this one:

Photobucket

I was thinking eventually, as I progress through my mounting list of projects I would start this one, which will hopefully become limitless and possibly become a gallery show. Big Dreams!

No comments: