Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Camaro

The Camaro is a memento of American history. I really love it because we had one when I was younger and my best friend and I would sit in it for hours pretending to be "pedal to the metal" on the open road. It was an '83 Z28 with t-tops, hotness! Today, I patiently await the return of the new Camaro wishing I could trade in my efficient, Japanese ride for some all-American power. It helps the economy, eh? I am a practical person, (in this case I sacrifice fun) so I will continue to ride the Honda but I can dream.

I really do appreciate Camaros. They represent my background and love for the "bowtie" but I also chuckle at their reputation. Those "Prius drivers" lift their noses to them because of their connotation with trailer parks and meth labs. I know our Camaro was a beaut but most have been hot rodded and wrecked and some people still cling to their beater but come on... it's a fast car,who can garage them? Hand me the keys to a small block v-8 (or a big block) and I will punch it. I do it every time I hop into my dad's car, I can't help it. My little sixer has some pep but the torque just isn't there. I love the power, chrome, the smell of fuel burning, I wouldn't trade it for batteries and catalytic converters, (sorry world) I'm only here until I'm gone!

Wow, I rant today! My point was to show you these photos:

This is a diptych I made while in art school (c. 2007). They were really large (about 30" long) and the blue one sold. I wish I had some better photos. I should really learn how to take better photos but it's not one of my priorities at the moment. One day I was up at the shop and I found a Chilton for our '83. It had some really neat diagrams so I used them to screen print the background and then I printed a picture of our car on top. It's a very masculine piece. Many of my pieces involving automobiles often incorporate feminine aspects like flowers but this one was straight up "MAN" which is probably why it was one of the few pieces I have sold. Since we are discussing Camaros I will say that I have been called Bumblebee a time or two, we speak through music and we kick major ass!

Photo. ps. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

No comments: