Monday, March 24, 2008

Passed Aquaintance

Today was a bit somber. It was the day after a week long break; spring break. After rounding out a brief vacation from routine it's back to the mundane. While I didn't take any fancy vacation, in fact I didn't even get to have a week free from worry or deadlines, just didn't have to deal with schedules or dates.

I spent most of my week working on my capstone project which involved piles of mohair and sewing machines. Washing, and sewing mohair really makes me want to move to Ireland, buy a green pasture and herd sheep. I would love to spin and dye my own yarn, as I gaze into my beautiful green pasture. I deviate. I guess today is not only somber but a day for dreaming.
Photobucket

On the topic of dreaming I also encountered an acquaintance from the past. Saturday night I was relaxing on the couch watching 'The Magnificent Seven' (1960). I had never seen the movie before and could only identify Yul Brenner and James Cobourn. As I'm not a huge fan of Westerns I was watching casually when one of the characters grabbed my attention. Vin; the quiet, ultra suave, cowboy leading opposite the hard assed, oddly foreign cowboy; Yul Brenner. This light haired, roughed cowboy was indeed Steve McQueen. It is sad that I could not identify him at first glance, but in my own defense I was born in 1985. After I noticed this cowboy I watched the movie avidly as I felt some connection to McQueen. While I didn't know him by name I could recognize him as if he were someone close to me. Perhaps we were good friends in a time before or perhaps I just met him as a passerby. Oh Steve McQueen who am I? I do own a pair of mustard colored campus frye boots? Could we be meant for one another?
PhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments: